Stan Getz - Getz Au Go Go [1964]

This is a recording of the great tenor sax player Stan Getz and his band, performing live with the wonderful bossa nova singer Astrud Gilberto. One thing I love about jazz, and particularly about the jazz of the 1960s, is its ability to be mellow and relaxing without sacrificing complexity or depth. This record is a stunning example of such. Listening to it now, I can just feel myself decompressing (and I just fucking woke up).


One of my favorite parts of this record is the amazing vibraphone. Lacking a piano, the vibes (courtesy of jazz master Gary Burton) are responsible for holding down the chord changes. As such, Getz's warm tenor solos seem to be floating on air, as the vibes drift through the songs.

5 Responses so far.

  1. KILLME says:

    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wxg51emadbukkdl

  2. LloydB says:
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  3. Will says:

    DHint: I will do just that.

  4. Will, I highly recommend you to start by Caetano's debut Domingo.
    You can read about him: http://www.blogotheque.net/2011/09/07/caetano-veloso-dix-titres-pour-redecouvrir-le-janus-cannibale-de-la-pop-bresilienne/

  5. Will says:

    Wonderful. Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to exploring this music. I'm loving what I've heard so far.

Leave a Reply