Coroner - No More Color (1989)


Fucking awesome technical thrash from Switzerland. This and "Mental Vortex" are considered their best albums, but I prefer "No More Color" due to the slightly rawer production and more concise songs. The vocalist/bassist sounds a bit like Kelly Shaefer from Atheist, delivering lines with a snarling growl. The guitar riffs are absolutely stellar, effortlessly switching from thrashy , yet slightly off kilter thrash riffage to tasteful arpeggios.

Download

EDIT
Here's a link to "Mental Vortex", Coroner's 1991 album. The band is flexing their prog chops a bit more on this album, but not so much that they stop making their trademark awesome thrash. Which album do YOU prefer? Leave a comment!

3 Responses so far.

  1. Rojo says:

    It's been ages since I've heard mental vortex, so I honestly can't recall which is better. Why not put up both and let us decide.

    Bravo, though, for putting up this gem. Coroner was an inspired trio, who always had a good melody to go with their snarling vocals and excellent riffs (which put them far above most thrash, especially European, in my opinion).

    I'm up for whatever interesting metal you can put up; it makes for a nice contrast to all the lo-fi eltronica and hipster hop or alternative pop the blog puts up. Not that those aren’t great, but I love the process of a bunch of guy working together and finding what songs their instruments can make.

  2. Alex says:

    Haha, will do. Check out the EP by Mutant that I uploaded a few months ago, if you haven't already. I'm not big on thrash, but they seem like a promising new band.

  3. Rojo says:

    Wow, a blog member responded to me. Neato. I was really talking to the blog as a whole with that last comment, so I didn't expect that (not to discount you Alex, good call on upping Pusicifer and Estradasphere, I enjoyed those albums very much).

    When I said metal I meant all the different types you guys have, not just thrash; Converge, Mastodon, Horse the Band and the Devin Townsend project, etc (perhaps you can assume with metal I mean aggressive music). All excellent. I know you guys love comments, I will try to go back and leave some on the old posts.

    But don't stop posting other stuff, I never heard of the Protomen or You say party! We say die! before, and I love them(at least their newest albums. Bravo. You guys always put up good rips so I look forward to hearing the new releases from High on Fire and Dillinger Escape Plan--and then buying them of course-- and discussing it with other music enthusiasts.

Leave a Reply