Vashti Bunyan - Lookaftering (2005)




I recently had my mind blown by Fever Ray's cover of 'Here Before', and my search for the original led me to this album.

After a thirty five year hiatus, it's a haunting sophomore to her debut. It's tender, brooding, wise, and the aged inflection in her voice adds a melancholic element to her songs. These songs are timeless, medieval-sounding folk, and feature a seamless and tasteful layering of instruments like the dulcimer, french horn, mellotron and glockenspiel. There's also a touch of harp, courtesy of Joanna Newsom.

Per usual, my favorite tracks are those in a minor key: 'If I Were' and 'Same But Different' are gorgeous. And of course, 'Here Before' is stunning and worth the entire download.


Once I had a child, he was wilder than moonlight...
(...and apologies for poor bit rate. Shout if you find a higher quality download!)

6 Responses so far.

  1. frazonh1 says:

    did not know Joanna Newsom performed on this album.
    thanks.

  2. Link to lossless:
    http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2362680/6223205/

    I could upload to mediafire in 320kbps if anyone doesn't have a demonoid account.

    Also i'd like to contribute to WFLM if that is possible. New posts are becoming increasingly fewer (I know they don't want to flood the blog ad post to much to quickly) but I think I can contribute interesting music that a lot would like to hear.

  3. Ivan says:

    Hi James,

    It would be fantastic if you would consider doing a 320kbps ...

    Many thanks for the post,

    Ivan

  4. Ivan says:

    Hi James,

    It would be fantastic if you would consider doing a 320kbps ...

    Many thanks for the post,

    Ivan

  5. http://www.mediafire.com/?g44bd6a38nbdpff
    Lookaftering in 320 kbps!

  6. zappahead says:

    Thanks for sharing this...loved her first album so looking forward to hearing this relativley newer stuff.....much obliged...cheers.

Leave a Reply