Thelonious Monk - Monk Alone: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings 1962 - 1968 [1998]



I've been on a big Thelonious Monk kick recently. It's been said that pleasure lies somewhere between boredom and confusion, and Monk's music illustrates this well. His fat, frquently dissonant chords along with his broken syncopated ryhthyms are never quite what you expect them to be in jazz from this time period. At the same time, his music remains the theory-heavy, quinetessentially cool type of jazz that I love from this heyday.

I think that every thing I love about Thelonious Sphere Monk is best put on display within a solo piano context. In the absence of a full rhythym or horn section, Monk's hyper-rythymic style becomes particuarly interesting structually as he provides the rythym, accompaniment and melody.

Part One
Part Two

3 Responses so far.

  1. Hey! this blog is amazing...I've downloaded some records!! I wanted to share a similar blog that I have with a friend in Argentina, and music of my band... bye, be well!

    boludomiraesto.tumblr.com

    lagranperdidadeenergia.bandcamp.com

  2. I will have to check some of Thelonious' music out. From your description it sounds like the kind of voice that would even be difficult to create even after years of singing school.

  3. to bad i missed this..

Leave a Reply